The Campus Life LGBTQ Center is located in the College Center, Room 213. Drop in to relax on our couches; make yourself a cup of tea or coffee; browse our book and film library; or say hello to the LGBTQ Center Director next door in CC 214. We're open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, with extended evening and weekend hours TBD. Check out our Facebook page for up-to-date info and announcements.
The Vassar College LGBTQ Center enhances the campus life experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer students and their allies by providing social, cultural and academic programming; fostering strong leaders; highlighting Vassar’s unique history; and engaging the entire campus in discussions of social justice and inclusion.
The LGBTQ Center envisions a campus that is fully inclusive of all identities, where students value and seek out cultural pluralism and positive intergroup experiences.
- All students, staff and faculty are welcome.
- Our work takes into account the intersections of students’ identities, including, but not limited to, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, ability, faith and class.
- Students’ needs, interests and passions are the drivers of our programming and initiatives We seek to educate the entire campus community on sexuality and gender issues as well as provide space for specific groups to explore and affirm their identities.
- Deepening and developing partnerships across departments makes our work more effective and far-reaching.
LGBTQ Center Resources and Facilities
- Library of LGBTQ-interest books, music, and film.
- Subscriptions to various LGBTQ-related magazines.
- Community room and media center with TV, VCR/DVD player, and sound system.
- Shared office space for student organizations.
- Administrative office for the LGBTQ Center Director (next door in College Center 214).
ACT OUT – Student activism group dedicated to gaining Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender rights through on-campus awareness and off-campus activism.
CARES – Vassar’s 24-hours a day, student-run, non-judgmental, confidential listening service for anyone affected by abuse.
CHOICE – CHOICE stands for Campus Health Organization for Information, Contraception, and Education. Our mission is to educate the campus about sexual health issues by distributing information about pregnancy, STIs, and contraception and to help to promote safer sex by providing free condoms, latex gloves, dental dams, and lubricant. CHOICE is a confidential and nonjudgmental organization. Student educators are selected on a volunteer basis.
Feminist Alliance – Feminist Alliance works to provide a space for discussion, organization, collaboration, and activism regarding issues of feminism, gender, patriarchy, kyriarchy, and all forms of oppression. We strive to provide a receptive and respectful space for any individual devoted to ending sex- or gender-based oppression.
QCVC – Queer Coalition of Vassar College exists to help various projects by and for Vassar's lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ), and allied students. We use the word "queer" to recognize and affirm a plurality of sex, sexuality, and gender difference.TransMission – TransMission is dedicated to making Vassar and the larger community of which it is a part an inclusive and welcoming environment for transgender, genderqueer, and intersex people, and anyone affected by sex and gender variance (which we believe to be everyone). Supporting Vassar's core values of inclusiveness and equality for all, we aim to dispel myths, raise awareness, and create a secure and comfortable space at Vassar and beyond through activism, cooperation, and education.
Spectrum Leadership Council – Consists of a representative from each of the above organizations, as well as a Campus Life/LGBTQ Center Intern and the Assistant Director for Campus Life/LGBTQ Programs. This group was established to improve communication and foster collaboration between the LGBTQ Center and all queer-related student organizations. If you would like your organization to join this council, please e-mail Judy Jarvis.